Thursday, February 19, 2009

Opinions on Slavery

It's not at all what you think, I just have to share the conversation Avery and I had last night regarding the subject. Let me set the tone:

Our living room where earlier we had been working on his paragraph about which President he would like to be and why. He chose President Lincoln.

Me: Avery, hand me the remote, please.

Avery: Uhhhhhh, I don't want to.

Me: I didn't ask you if you wanted to, I just asked you to hand it to me. (mind you, I'm actually closer to the remote than he is)

Avery: I'm not your slave.

Me: No, Avery, you're not, but (voice rising) I said hand me the remote! Now hand it to me.

Avery: **pondering** I don't have to because Abraham Lincoln freed the slaves so that means I don't have to be yours.

Me: ...........


Need I say more?